free usa flag gif


Home Page



Roll of Honour



All Pages Index

Notice Boards


Search the Website

Contact Us

About Us

 300,000 annual visits & 7 million hits to 174  web pages & 3000 photos.  News and Information at the bottom of this and every web page.

 Please 'like' the Combined Operations Command Memorial on Facebook in remembrance of our WW2 veterans.


A Special D-Day Mission

For a select few serving in the RAF Air Sea Rescue Service, D Day was to find them undertaking an important, top secret task which would improve the chances of survival of thousands of servicemen . It was so secret that the crews did not know what they were involved in until they were in position off the Normandy beaches.

Background Preparations To Normandy The Mission
Postscript Acknowledgements    


In March 1944 five RAF skippers were selected from the British Isles Air Sea Rescue Service for a Combined Operation on D-Day. The skippers were given a freehand to pick their crews from any unit they wished. My skipper, Flying Officer (F/O) W E Probert, was one of the five chosen and on whose crew I had served as a wireless operator mechanic for some time.

F/O Bill Probert had risen from the ranks and was highly respected by all who served with him. He was a man of few words who led by example. We came from No.48 Air Sea Rescue  Marine Craft Unit (ASRMCU) at Tenby, as did another Skipper, F/O Ambler. The two crews were given new Thornycroft High Speed Launches which had their armament upgraded for the operation. The three .303 machine guns located in their manual turrets were replaced aft by a 20mm Oerlikon. The tops of the port and starboard turrets were removed and .5 Browning machine guns were installed.

Photo of Clifford BurkettPreparations

Our duties at Mount Batten from March until June were those of any Air/Sea Rescue unit but with
frequent gunnery exercises in the English Channel. We were on duty 24 hours a day for 4 days running, living onboard in cramped conditions, except for meals ashore. The fifth day we had off duty.
[Photo; the author veteran Clifford N Burkett.]

Such was the secrecy we were not given any details of our D Day mission. Two days before D Day a white star was painted on the foredeck by the deckhands and immediately covered for security reasons. A white star was painted on all aircraft, vehicles, vessels, tanks etc. so any vehicle, aircraft or vessel not with a star was treated as the enemy. The Skippers, Wireless Operators and Cox'ns met in a hanger guarded by the RAF Regiment with fixed bayonets. The purpose was to provide a minimal briefing to the coxswains and wireless operators who were given new wireless frequencies and call signs. Only the Skippers were given more information.

Our HSL was numbered 2655, F/O Ambler's was 2653 and the others were 2512 & 2513. There was a fifth which, on the day, was "up the slip for repair". The choice of the launch class was a disappointment to those of us who had previously served on the faster and superior HSLs built by the British Power Boat Company at Hythe. However, speed was not the only characteristic needed for the operation. Thorneycrofts were slightly bigger and able to accommodate more aircrew/paras survivors.

En Route to Normandy

We assembled at RAF Mount Batten, No. 43 ASRMCU, Plymouth, where we were joined by 3 other selected RAF High Speed Launch (HSL) crews. From there our 4 serviceable HSLs dropped their moorings at 3.30 pm on the afternoon before D Day with extra dinghies lashed on decks. We were joined by 3 RN Motor Gun Boats (MGBs) from Devonport while we were still in Plymouth Sound. D Day had been postponed for 24 hours because of the bad weather and most of the troops had already spent an uncomfortable 24 hours on board their craft. After sailing out through the Plymouth Hoe boom we saw a number of landing craft tossing about at anchor in Cawsand Bay. "Poor bloody infantry" sprung to mind for they still had to cross the Channel in rough weather, disembark, wade ashore and fight their way off the beaches early the next morning.

Part way across the Channel by a circuitous route, all but one of the MGBs left us. We arrived off the coast of Normandy at 11 pm. Half an hour later the RAF launches and the RN MGB switched on their search lights, which seemed an odd thing to do in hostile waters. However, it soon became clear that the first part of our first mission was to act as light beacons to guide in the USA 82nd and 101st  Airborne Divisions, comprising 5,000 men, to be dropped behind the Omaha & Utah beaches.

With 5 launches, any losses due to enemy action or breakdown, would be compensated for and the additional fire power of the extra craft would provide added defence against anticipated E Boat attacks. Around midnight we witnessed the huge bombardment of the coastal defences by the Allied Air Forces. While it lasted the coastline was a wall of flame as far as we could see, such was the intensity of the exploding bombs. We maintained station all night but, because of tidal drift, had to sail back 2 or more hundred yards every 20 minutes or so in order to maintain our exact position. The noise the 5 vessels made when restarting their engines each time was deafening and we worried that the enemy would be alerted. We would have been a poor match for the German E boats which we knew regularly patrolled the whole of the Normandy coast every night. Fresh in our minds was the death and destruction they had wreaked only a few weeks earlier, when over 700 USA sailors were lost off Slapton Sands during a training exercise called Operation Tiger.

We expected to be fired at from the sea or the shore at any time but thankfully this did not happen. I was on wireless telegraphy (W/T) watch 2 hours on and 2 hours off and still have my W/T log book with all times recorded. When not on W/T watch I was on deck. The reason I could do this, even though we had to keep watch on two radios, (W/T & VHF), was because I had fitted up a Standard Beam Approach "mixer" box in the wireless cabin. It was an unofficial arrangement approved by the Skipper. With the mixer box the signals from two receivers could be fed into one Operator's earphones, but could also be separated at will as required. We were on strict "W/T silence" so as not to give our position away to the enemy and if messages came in on either receiver the Operator on watch could recall the other one if required. Another advantage of this arrangement was that it allowed one of the W/Operators to accompany F/O Probert on the `bridge' to man the signalling lamp.

Shortly after the bombardment of the enemy's coastal defences, aircraft carrying 'paras' and others towing gliders, flew directly over us. In my periods on deck I witnessed 17 such formations fly overhead. In his turns Bob Bell, the other wireless operator saw similar numbers. It was an inspirational sight as they flew in formations of up to 50 aircraft, with all navigation lights on. We marvelled at the skill of the pilots in keeping such tight formations.

The Mission

At 0530 am, before the beach landings began, we switched our lights off and the Royal Navy MGB left us for other duties. We sailed round to the western side of the Cherbourg Peninsula where I received coded W/T messages instructing us to search among the Channel Isles for a Wellington bomber and a fighter aircraft. They had apparently ditched in that area the day before. We split into two pairs and searched between and around Jersey and Guernsey but after many fruitless hours searching we returned to Plymouth because we were running dangerously short of fuel. The Germans were by now well aware of our presence since a Ju 88 from Jersey flew overhead, but thankfully ignored us. We had been at sea for over 30 hours sustained by one can of self heating soup and adrenalin. The deck crew of 4 had manned the two Browning machine guns and the Oerlikon for the whole time. Their eyes were strained, red and sore from the constant lookout they kept and the sea. As we moved out of the immediate danger area exhaustion overtook them in particular although we were all very tired.

Most of the 5,000 airborne troops we guided to their `drop zones' landed safely, although a number were scattered. There were, of course, many losses but the survivors later joined up with their comrades, as planned, who landed on Omaha and Utah beaches. We learned several years later that the fighter aircraft we had searched for was found on the seabed with the body of its Canadian pilot still on board. His widow requested that he be left there, in the aircraft, as his grave. To my knowledge no trace of the Wellington was ever found.


The day following our return to RAF Mount Batten, we learned that not a single Allied aircraft had come down in our area during the time we were at sea. Had any ditched, our orders were to stay on station. Some years later, at one of our reunions, we learned that captured German records had disclosed that the regular nightly patrols of E boats along the Normandy coast were cancelled for that night by the German Navy Officer Commanding at Cherbourg, because " the weather is too bad for the enemy to invade tonight!" The Germans had underestimated our seamanship in the rough sea conditions. Our unit's mission could not have gone better and was a triumph of meticulous planning and training.

I attended the 64th anniversary of D Day in June 2010 with the Normandy Veteran's Association. It was a typically British occasion, restrained and well run with speeches of thanks and remembrance by local Mayors. The French presented us with a badge of Remembrance, the "Normandie Memoire". Several widows, wearing their husband's decorations, accompanied us and many of those present, both men and women, wore badges bearing a photograph of the Queen. This apparently because of the French Government's snub at not inviting Her Majesty to the commemorations. However, locally we received a very warm welcome from the people of Normandy. It was a bitter/sweet occasion. On the one hand it brought back memories of school friends and RAF comrades who gave their lives and on the other I was glad I had been able to honour their memory and sacrifice.

The memory of those who served in the RAFVR in the various fast rescue craft is immortalised in the especially commissioned painting "Combined Operations - A Normandy Beachhead". A rescue craft can be seen plying the waters off a Normandy beach in search of any service personnel in the water. See the painting here.


We are indebted to Clifford N Burkett for this account and for the photograph of HSL 2655 on which he served. The photo was taken a few days before D Day during a gunnery exercise. Clifford served in the RAF Volunteer Reserve for 5 years, three of which were in the Air Sea Rescue Service. Sadly, Cliff passed away in August 2013.

News & Information


Please 'like' the Combined Operations Command memorial  Facebook page in appreciation of our WW2 veterans. See the 'slide shows' of the dedication ceremony and the construction of the memorial plus the 'On this day in 194?' feature where major Combined Ops events are highlighted on their anniversary dates with links to additional information. Also posts and questions from visitors.

70th Anniversary of Victory in Europe. William Hague, Leader of the House of Commons, recently announced that there are to be three days of commemorations to mark the 70th anniversary of Victory in Europe Day during May 2015.

A later commemoration is planned to mark the 70th Anniversary of Victory in Japan (VJ Day) day on the 15th August 2015. More information will appear in the  national & local media.

Forthcoming Events

To organisers: Reach the people who will be interested to know about your Combined Operations or war related event by adding it to our forthcoming events page free of charge.

To everyone else; Visit our forthcoming events page for things to see and places to visit. If you know of an event of possible interest, that is not listed, please let us know.

To notify an event click here.

To visit the webpage click here.

Raffle of a  Painting “Let's Play, not Slay" by David A Thorp depicting the legendary football match between the opposing forces in no man's land on Christmas eve 1914.

The painting has a value of £2,500 and will be raffled during the summer of 2015 in aid of the Royal British Legion and the Cheshire Regimental Benevolent Fund.

Tickets costing £2.50 will be sold at the Cheshire County Show, Tabley  (23 & 24 June), the Royal Welsh Show at Builth Wells, Powys  (20 to 23 July), the Nantwich Show  (July 30) in  Cheshire and the Cheshire Country Game Fair at Tabley (August 29 - 31) where the draw will take place. There will be three further prizes.

Free WW1 Teaching Resource. Newspaper cuttings in the form of a 13 page booklet (26 sides) with published accounts of aspects of the war during 1914 to 1919. Available to schools, universities, libraries and accredited education establishments.  Pdf version or for printed version.

WW2 Combined Operations Handbook. This handbook was prepared for Combined Operations in the Far East. It illustrates the depth and complexity of the planning process necessary to ensure that the 3 services worked together as a unified force.


The Salvage and Restoration of LCT 7074. 7074 has been raised from the docks at Birkenhead and transported to Portsmouth where restoration work will be undertaken with the aim of revealing it to the public during the 75th anniversary year of D-Day. Google 'LCT 7074' or visit the BBC at

Find Books of Interest.  Search for Books direct from our Books page. Don't have the name of a book in mind? Just type in a keyword to get a list of possibilities... and if you want to purchase you can do so on line through the Advanced Book Exchange (ABE). 5% commission goes into the memorial fund.

The Gazelle Helicopter Squadron Display Team. The Gazelle Squadron is a unique team of ex-British Military Gazelle helicopters in their original military colours and with their original military registrations. The core team includes four Gazelles, one from each service; The Royal Navy, The Royal Marines, The Army Air Corps and The Royal Air Force. A fifth Gazelle in Royal Marines colours will provide intimate support for the team. Their crest includes the Combined Operations badge. The last, and possibly, only time the badge was seen on an aircraft was in the early mid 40s. A photo of the Hurricane concerned is included in the 516 Squadron webpage.

Legasee Film Archive. As part of an exciting social history project, the film company Legasee is looking for veterans from any conflict who would like to have their stories filmed for posterity. Films are now available on line.

New to Combined Ops? Visit Combined Operations Explained for an easy introduction to the subject.

Legion d’Honneur Applications.

Any veterans, not only troops that landed, but also Royal Navy and Royal Air Force personnel who operated in support of the landings may apply. Click here for application form and further information from the MOD.

Print too small or large? Easy solution when browsing. I) PC. To increase hold down Ctrl and shift and press +. To decrease hold down Ctrl and press -. 2) MAC. To increase Command + and to decrease Command -.


Remember a Veteran. Add names to our Roll of Honour and They Also Served pages and read the Combined Operations prayer.

Copyright © 2000 to 2015 inclusive []. All rights reserved.